Self-Study Course Details
The TCJA made turning business losses into tax refunds far more difficult. The CARES Act suspended and modified many of these changes. This course will address the revised rules for deducting business losses and discuss planning ideas and potential pitfalls.
- Revised rules from recent legislative developments for deducting business losses
- TCJA net operating losses rules of §461(l)
- §163(j) Business Interest Expense
- Limitations of deducting losses and basis
- What is the “quickie” refund
- Section 465: At-Risk amount
- Section 469 Passive Activity Loss rules.
- Recognize how to apply recent legislative developments and deducting business losses and amending returns
- Identify planning ideas and potential pitfalls.
- Basic working knowledge of business taxation.
Doug Van Der Aa
Doug is a lively and energetic speaker – especially on the subject of taxes and ethics. He has been a highly rated speaker and seminar leader for CPA Associations and other organizations throughout the country for more than 15 years.
Doug has over 25 years of professional experience, including tax practice in CPA firms and the practice of transactional business and real estate law as an attorney. As a CPA, Doug’s practice concentrated on the tax needs of closely held businesses, with their related pass-through entities, complex individual returns, estates and trusts.
Encoursa is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: NASBAregistry.org.
Encoursa LLC is an IRS-approved continuing education provider. Provider #: KKRBE
Webinars: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard 1 hour after a webinar concludes.
Self-Study: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard immediately after passing the qualified assessment.
For specific instructions on accessing your CPE, please see our FAQ section on our support page.
- Multiple Attendees on Webinars: Each attendee should register separately for the webinar. If more than 1 attendee participated from the same device, please contact us after the event to let us know. For group signups for paid events, please contact us.