Self-Study Course Details
Effective policies and procedures in the Accounts Payable function is critical for any organization wishing to reduce or eliminate duplicate payments, prevent and detect fraud, be cost effective and compliant with all regulatory issues affecting the payment function. The first step in that battle is having a current, detailed policy and procedures manual. This course presents information the professional can use to create an effective manual, that not only documents the organizations policies and procedures, can be used as a reference and training guide. Industry expert Mary Schaeffer shows auditors, controllers, and managers how to create such a manual when none exists. She also includes an outline for a sample policy as well as a checklist they can use to determine if their current policy is best practice or something less.
- Pinpoint reasons an up-to-date accounts payable policy and procedures manual is needed
- Recognize how an accounts payable policy and procedures manual strengthens controls
- Learn how to create a policy and procedures manual
- Recognize several ways to start creating a manual from scratch
- Identify how to use the manual to address the rush check problem
- Identify several short cuts to use when creating a policy and procedures manual
- Delineate the segregation of duties requirements for the accounts payable function for inclusion in the policy and procedures manual
- Learn how computer access levels may circumvent segregation of duties requirements
- Identify how to prepare an action plan to review and update an old policy and procedures manual
- Identify often-overlooked changes that will improve accounts payable procedures
- Please see the 'Course Description' for the learning objectives.
Mary S. Schaeffer is the founder of AP Now, a B2B learning and information company focused on creating business intelligence around the accounts payable and payment functions. She has written 18 business books, created a number of CPE self-study courses, customized training and online training events. Schaeffer is a frequent and popular speaker at both online and live events. Previously she held positions as an Assistant Treasurer for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, a Financial Risk Manager for O&Y and a Corporate Cash Manager for Continental Grain. She has an MBA in Finance from NYU and a BS in Mathematics from York College (CUNY).
Encoursa is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: NASBAregistry.org.
Webinars: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard 1 hour after a webinar concludes.
Self-Study: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard immediately after passing the qualified assessment.
For specific instructions on accessing your CPE, please see our FAQ section on our support page.
- Multiple Attendees on Webinars: Each attendee should register separately for the webinar. If more than 1 attendee participated from the same device, please contact us after the event to let us know. For group signups for paid events, please contact us.