Self-Study Course Details
Recent changes in the law have made IRS Form 1042/1042-S filing requirements ever more complex. The cost to your organization can be significant if it's not ready. This course is a time saving tool that will help CPA’s, tax, and accounts payable professionals get ready to file Forms 1042/1042-S.
In this course, industry expert and corporate tax attorney Steven D. Mercatante Esq. takes a look some of the more common problems related to documenting, validating, and reporting payee information using the IRS Forms 1042/1042-S while offering solutions and best-practices for addressing related reporting issues.
- Discover tips for handling the changes to the new Forms 1042/1042-S, incorporating them into your systems, and filing accurately and learn best practices for validating the W-9, W-8's, and 8233 and avoiding reporting and withholding errors
- Distinguish between services compensated and why they matter, discover whether the service constitutes employment under immigration law, how where the service performed impacts your reporting obligations, what distinguishes a resident for tax purposes from immigration purposes, and learn the tax treatment of different visa's
- Learn what types of payments are 1042-S reportable and the rules for each, including scholarships and fellowships, honoraria, payments to artists and athletes, partnerships, royalty payments, independent/dependent personal services, as well as related elements of the IRS source/income rule
- Learn how to handle W-8 payee requests for treaty benefits, reduced 1042-S withholding, and reporting
- Recognize elements requiring you to doubt the information on Forms W-9, W-8, or Form 8233 and get tips for handling Form 1099 vs. 1042-S expat earnings, tax equalization, and foreign income exclusions vs. resident/non-resident alien reporting and receive detailed filing tips for the Form 1042-S codes and boxes
Steven Mercatante is the principal and founder of TIR Consulting, LLC. He is a nationally recognized leader in tax reporting education and consulting on specialized compliance issues. He has conducted on-site consultation for corporate clients from across the world and led countless seminars and webinars for Aurora Training Advantage, IAPP, Balance Consulting, The Accounts Payable Network, Accounts Payable Now and Tomorrow, Progressive Business Conferences, The Center For Competitive Management, and more.
Encoursa is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: NASBAregistry.org.
Encoursa LLC is an IRS-approved continuing education provider. Provider #: KKRBE
Webinars: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard 1 hour after a webinar concludes.
Self-Study: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard immediately after passing the qualified assessment.
For specific instructions on accessing your CPE, please see our FAQ section on our support page.
- Multiple Attendees on Webinars: Each attendee should register separately for the webinar. If more than 1 attendee participated from the same device, please contact us after the event to let us know. For group signups for paid events, please contact us.