Self-Study Course Details
This course will help CPAs, accounts payable personnel, and tax professionals develop an accountable plan for reimbursing employees and maintaining adequate accounting records thereby solidify the T&E expense deductions on the company’s annual income tax return.
In this course, industry expert and corporate tax attorney Steven D. Mercatante Esq. provides helpful tips that will be useful in training not only employees seeking reimbursement, but also the accounts payable staff reviewing the monthly employee expense reports, and tax staff reviewing records prior to preparation of the Federal income tax return.
- Learn about 1099 and W-2 reportable versus non-reportable fringe benefits and expense reimbursements, including a detailed discussion of the proper method for applying accountable plan rules (with real world examples provided and discussed) as well as record-keeping rules as required by the IRS
- Identify recent changes to expense reimbursement and fringe benefit rules as well as the introduction of the new Form 1099-NEC, and learn how to address these changes in regards to W-2 and 1099 reporting requirements
- Identify key expense reimbursement issues including the ongoing controversy over entertainment expenses, de minimis and working condition fringe benefits, commuting, meal, per diem, commuting and transportation expenses, and how and when they are 1099 and W-2 reportable
- Discover tips on filing effectively as well as creating policies and procedures for avoiding IRS penalties and audits involving fringe benefit and expense reimbursement situations as well as addressing the dangers of “gift-giving” in a business context and determining “fair market value” and a special analytical process for determining which fringes and reimbursements are reportable or not
- Recognize how to identify when you must report expense reimbursements paid to employees, contractors, volunteers, and other workers including “highly compensated” employees
Steven Mercatante is the principal and founder of TIR Consulting, LLC. He is a nationally recognized leader in tax reporting education and consulting on specialized compliance issues. He has conducted on-site consultation for corporate clients from across the world and led countless seminars and webinars for Aurora Training Advantage, IAPP, Balance Consulting, The Accounts Payable Network, Accounts Payable Now and Tomorrow, Progressive Business Conferences, The Center For Competitive Management, and more.
Encoursa is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: NASBAregistry.org.
Encoursa LLC is an IRS-approved continuing education provider. Provider #: KKRBE
Webinars: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard 1 hour after a webinar concludes.
Self-Study: CPE certificates will be accessible through your dashboard immediately after passing the qualified assessment.
For specific instructions on accessing your CPE, please see our FAQ section on our support page.
- Multiple Attendees on Webinars: Each attendee should register separately for the webinar. If more than 1 attendee participated from the same device, please contact us after the event to let us know. For group signups for paid events, please contact us.